Help Desk -
9717405332, 9599714297, 9810335381
Email
Password

Trapped miners’ Kin want rescue ops stopped - Report

Coal News - Published on Thu, 18 Apr 2019

Image Source: theshillongtimes.com
Shillong Times reported that family members of some of the coal miners, who are trapped in the coal mine at Ksan in East Jaintia Hills since December last year, have written to the deputy commissioner saying they have no objection to the rescue operation being called off. Informing this here on Monday, Revenue and Disaster Management Minister Mr Kyrmen Shylla said that while some families have submitted their letters some more are likely to follow suit. Mr Shylla said that "Once the letters reach us, we will take it up with the Supreme Court."

However, it may be mentioned that the Supreme Court is monitoring the rescue operation and has from time to time directed the state and the central governments to continue it.

The accident occurred on December 13 last year when water flooded the rat-hole mine trapping 16 miners. Bodies of two were retrieved subsequently. Another body was also detected, but it could not be brought out.

Meanwhile, the minister also informed that the rescue operation is continuing at the site and new and more powerful pumps were installed to dewater the affected mine and some others in the vicinity which are believed to be inter-linked.

Source :

Posted By : Rabi Wangkhem on Thu, 18 Apr 2019
Related News from Coal segment